(what it could look like)
– Proposal buried in the Department of Homeland Security funding bill.
– A bill has already passed the House of Representatives.
– The bill will come before the Senate in the near future.
– There are currently federal and state laws preventing military or civil officers anywhere an election is being held.
– DHS would be “assisted” by the king of the voter fraud myth, Kris Kobach, who specializes in voter suppression. He created Operation Interstate Crosscheck, a list of voters that has been used to purge voters from the rolls.
– This scheme arises after Trump’s Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity has disbanded, after failure to find examples of voter fraud, and accusations of attempted voter suppression. However, Trump didn’t shut down the investigation or acknowledge that voter fraud is a non-issue. However, Trump has now turned the task of creating the illusion of widespread voter fraud over to the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Homeland Security is a cabinet-level agency that has access to much of the data the commission requested but couldn’t get from the states.
– This scheme arises after Trump said he wants to conduct a military parade in Washington, D.C.
– Department of Homeland Security includes the Secret Service.
– Department of Homeland Security also includes the federal Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).